Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'll take the Usual.

It was church and IHOP last night of course. I don't know who is worse, Mom who mostly does not remember or Joe who messes with what little mind she has left! We sit in the same booth and have the same waitress every week, although they all know us. Mom looked at the menu and decided she would have her "usual." Joe agreed that her "usual" liver and onions was a good choice. It take her a minute to think about that before she knew that was not her usual. But when the waitress came over and asked her what she wanted, Mom was able to tell her that she did not want liver and onions but wanted "3 pancakes with strawberries on top and don't forget to put some of the strawberry sauce on the plate before putting the pancakes down so that they would not stick to the plate." Of course, Mom was not quite as eloquent because she does not have the words to express all of that clearly, but the waitress knew the routine. Sometimes he gets away with stuff like this because she mostly does not remember that she did not like blueberries, broccoli or peas and eats them for him when he tells her he is fixing her favorites.

I know that I have told you all how much the notes and cards mean to Mom. She has been saying for some time that she needs to respond back to you but Mom is just unable to connect enough thoughts to write notes herself. Daily we talk about who the cards are from and almost daily Mom brings out a picture of everyone lined up in Bonnie's driveway at her 70th birthday party or a picture taken at a reunion in recent years and wants to know who those people are. So, on Saturday morning she and I sat at the table and I helped her create some special gifts for you. I wrote the names in big letters on a piece of cardboard and she worked on the project most of the day. And, because you all were so shy about requesting samples of her work (or worried that we were squandering your inheritance, Deena) that I included a few other pieces in the packages. No, really, it is our pleasure and the postage is on me. Be sure to check your mail in the coming days for a specially prepared gift just for you! Now, only a few of you reading this will get one, so those of you who do not will just have to watch your mail for only Publisher's Clearing House! That's all I'm saying about that!

It's almost 7:00 and we are having our "usual". Mom has had her ice cream and is cleaning up her colors and stuff at the table. Her clean clothes are in the dryer, maybe I can get her to fold and put them away before she goes to bed. If not, we will fluff them again and try tomorrow. If your ears are burning, it's because we are looking at the pictures again or another note has arrived and I am reviewing how many people love her and want to tell her so. The Usual. And we love all of you!!

3 comments:

Deena said...

I guess i won't send her the butterfly shoes I got her-who knows what I would recieve in return!

Anonymous said...

We are still out camping, but cme home to catch up on a few bills. Can't wait to get my "package". Love ya all

Anonymous said...

We are with you :)
Jen and Family