Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Your're Just Too Big!

Again, thank-you for the cards. The beautiful butterfly card that Mom got from Sonya yesterday evoked some discussion and a small, sad reality. It was addressed inside to Aunt Marge which took us to a new area of what Mom does not remember. We talked about her family and I told her all of her sisters and brother’s names and where they live and as much as I could remember about where all of the cousins are. I told her how she knew Sonya and the girls and how we had gone to Kim’s wedding in New York. We talked about her nieces and nephews and different events and she was sure that if she could see them, she would know who they are. Mom wondered how I knew “all that” about where her family is so I assured her that ya’ll (sorry Erin) haven’t moved in many years and the notes she is getting has your return address on them. Mom was visibly disturbed at the reality she is facing – more and more of her memory is slipping away. Mom has been in major denial about this up until 4 or 5 months ago. She has been able to accept that she has a “memory problem” and last night we talked a little more about it and called it Alzheimer’s, for which there is no cure. That was the sad reality. I continued to assure her that it was really okay that she did not remember all of those people and it could be enough to know that they remember her. I suggested that we would be okay unless my memory problem got worse. She added laughingly that Joe would have his hands full if that happened! Mom also pronounced her family “just too big!”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Cheryl, I was just going through past e-mail messages and saw your blog. I hadn't been to your site for awhile so I logged on. Although some of our experiences taking care of our moms are alike, I'm praying for you. My mom is rather easy in comparison. Her issues are more physical. She remembers people and places, but has a hard time feeding herself, has no bladder or bowel control, and balance is pretty much none existent. She is very particular about her looks so even just riding to Walmart with me requires lipstick.
We went up to Estes Park for New Year's to spend time with the family and bringing Mom along was worse than bringing a baby. I know that for certain because George and I had more stuff than Brendon & Hattie with our new grand-daughter.
Keep relying on laughter and God. I have found in the last three years that I can't do without either!

Motorcycle grandma said...

I need to join Cheryl in expressing my gratitude to everyone for helping us through this by letting mom and us know you are thinking of her. It means so much to us to have your support.

Beaver said...

You don't have to apologize to me for using "y'all." So long as you don't start using the construction "fixin to" we'll be okay. And besides, wasn't it Stacey who got into so much trouble when we lived in Germany because she started saying "y'all" and at the time the only parent-approved (yankee) expression was "you guys"? I seem to remember something about that...

Deena said...

ya'll is nothing...my girls wanted to know what a "youins" was. In PA it's the same as ya'll.