Friday, May 15, 2009

BIRTHdays are Special

I think I left off talking about birthdays! Mom's to be specific. The evening of her birthday, we took her to Tuscany's, a small Italian restaurant nearby. I had taken her to lunch there the previous week. Mom remembers Tony's, the Italian restaurant we used to go to where she forged a small friendship with the owners when she first came to Texas. Now she believes that any Italian restaurant we take her to is that same place. She does not remember the names of the people but is sure that it is the same place and the same people. Tuscany's is no different. The one waiter there is a handsome, outgoing ans sociable young man and remembers us from other visits. We go prior to their lunch or dinner rush so that it isn't busy. That evening, we got Mom to figure out and communicate what she wanted and the waiter was really good with her, remembering that she did not want salad. We let him know that it was Mom's birthday and before we left the restaurant, he had brought her a generous slice of chocolate cake on a big plate with Happy Birthday drizzled in chocolate syrup on the plate. And we all sang Happy Birthday! She had a good birthday.

But now, let me tell you about another birthday and why I did not update this sooner. Elsie Jane was born to Erin and Elijah Beaver on May 7 and I am in Auburn, Alabama with my new granddaughter! It has been a wonderful week here. I hope that you will click on the link to Erin's blog, if you don't normally keep up with her, to see pictures and get the story.

That means, yes, St. Joe is in Texas taking care of Mom, Julie, puppy Heidi, Haley and two birds. And, he is also still employed (thank-you God and Joe). There is no doubt in my mind that they are all surviving. Mom may not have changed her panties in a week and Julie may not have brushed her teeth or hair, and Haley may not have gotten bathed or groomed, and the puppy may not be doing all her business outside...but they are all well. I understand that Mom keeps asking when I will be home with the baby. She early in the week gave Janice a hard time about going with her to pick Julie up because there "is nothing wrong" with her and she can certainly stay there by herself while Janice goes about her business or picking Julie up. They tell me that Mom has had some more nightmares but nothing that got her out of the bed or falling out of bed as in the past. I will be back in Texas on Sunday (reluctantly without the baby) and will get back into her more familiar routine.

That's my update from Alabama. Be sure to check out Erin's blog to see the most beautiful baby and family ever - or at least since Levi and Micah were born!

1 comment:

Motorcycle grandma said...

I'm so glad you went to see and bond with Elsie! Now that I'm in the "gramma" club I understand so much more. You can't imagine the saddness I felt when I knew Erin was in labor and you were in TX. Our very own St.Joe! Definitely not an exaggeration!! Elsie Jane is definitely a beauty!